Dr. Somdev Kar is an assistant professor of Linguistics at the Indian Institute of Technology Ropar.
He completed his MA in Applied Linguistics from the University of Hyderabad (India) in 2004. In 2005, he moved to the University of Tübingen in Germany to pursue doctoral research in Linguistics under the supervision of Prof. Hubert Truckenbrodt and received his doctoral degree in 2009. His doctoral research is in the area of Optimality Theory (Phonology) and Distributed Morphology and with a focus on the syllable structure of Bangla.
Dr. Kar also worked on the phonology of a group of Tibeto-Burman languages of Sikkim as part of his post-doctoral research at CIIL, Mysore, India.
Areas of Research
Phonetics, Phonology, Optimality Theory
Speech Processing, Natural Language Processing (NLP)
PhD (Linguistics), University of Tübingen, Germany, 2009
MA (Applied Linguistics), University of Hyderabad, India, 2004
BA (Honours in Linguistics), University of Calcutta, India, 2002
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, India, 2010 - Present
Visiting Assistant Professor, Qatar University, Qatar, 2010
Fellow, Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL), Mysore, India, 2008 - 2010
Research Associate, Center for General Linguistics (ZAS), Berlin, Germany, 2008
Research Associate and Assistant, University of Tübingen, Germany, 2005 - 2008
1. Chand, Gulab and Kar, Somdev (2016). Reduplication initiated through discourse markers: A case of Hadoti. Paper presented at "Linguistics Beyond and Within 2016" during October 20-21, 2016 at John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin, Poland. (Book of abstract)
2. Dwivedi, Pankaj and Kar, Somdev (2016). Kannauji of Kanpur: A brief overview. Acta Linguistica Asiatica, 6(1): 101-119. (DOI: 10.4312/ala.6.1.101-119)
3. Kumar, Narendra and Kar, Somdev (2014). Vowel epenthesis in Maithili. Paper presented at the 36th Intertional Conference of Linguistics Society of India (ICOLSI) during December 1-4, 2014 at the University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, India.
5. Kar, Somdev (2013). Slot-specific glide formation in Bangla. International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 42(1), 67-83.
6. Kar, Somdev (2012). Voicing agreement in Bangla word-medial clusters. Indian Linguistics, 73(1-4), 175-184.
7. Kar, Somdev (2011). Gemination before liquids in Bangla. Paper presented at the International Conference of Phonetics and Phonology (ICPP 2011), held during Dec 10-14, 2011 in Kyoto, Japan. (Book of abstract)
8. Kar, Somdev (2010). Review of Pingali, Sailaja (2009) 'Indian English'. Linguistlist, 21-2755, June 30, 2010.
9. Kar, Somdev (2010). Syllable Structure of Bangla: An Optimality Theoretic Approach. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. (ISBN 978-1-4438-2402-6)
10. Kar, Somdev (2008). Gemination in Bangla: An Optimality Theoretic Analysis. Dhaka University Journal of Linguistics, 1(2), 87-114. (DOI: 10.3329/dujl.v1i2.37189)
(1) Mr. Pankaj Dwivedi, MA, Linguistics (BHU, Varanasi)
(2) Mr. Gulab Chand, MA Linguistics (BHU, Varanasi), MPhil (MGAHV, Wardha)
HUL452 Fundamentals of Linguistics (2-1-0)
HUL456 Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology (2-1-0)
HUL461 Morphology (2-1-0)
HUL465 Laboratory Phonology (2-0-2)
HUL607 English Syntactic Structure (3-0-0)
HUL608 Topics in Optimality Theory (3-0-0)
HUL614 Computational Phonology (3-0-0)
1. Appen Butler Hill Group / Oracle, USA, as Consultant, 2016 - Present. 2. Appen Butler Hill Group / Microsoft Corporation, USA, as Consultant, 2011-Present 3. Acapela Group Sweden AB, Solna, Sweden, as Consultant (Linguist), 2010. 4. Zi Corporation, Calgary, Canada, as Language Consultant (Bengali), 2004 - 2005.