Dr. Somdev Kar is an assistant professor of Linguistics at the Indian Institute of Technology Ropar.
He completed his MA in Applied Linguistics from the University of Hyderabad (India) in 2004. In 2005, he moved to the University of Tübingen in Germany to pursue doctoral research in Linguistics under the supervision of Prof. Hubert Truckenbrodt and received his doctoral degree in 2009. His doctoral research is in the area of Optimality Theory (Phonology) and Distributed Morphology and with a focus on the syllable structure of Bangla.
Dr. Kar also worked on the phonology of a group of Tibeto-Burman languages of Sikkim as part of his post-doctoral research at CIIL, Mysore, India.
5. Kar, Somdev (2013). Slot-specific glide formation in Bangla. International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 42(1), 67-83.
6. Kar, Somdev (2012). Voicing agreement in Bangla word-medial clusters. Indian Linguistics, 73(1-4), 175-184.
7. Kar, Somdev (2010). Syllable Structure of Bangla: An Optimality Theoretic Approach. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. (ISBN 978-1-4438-2402-6)
8. Kar, Somdev (2008). Gemination in Bangla: An Optimality Theoretic Analysis. Dhaka University Journal of Linguistics, 1(2), 87-114. (DOI: 10.3329/dujl.v1i2.37189)
(1) Mr. Pankaj Dwivedi, MA, Linguistics (BHU, Varanasi)
(2) Mr. Gulab Chand, MA Linguistics (BHU, Varanasi), MPhil (MGAHV, Wardha)
HUL452 Fundamentals of Linguistics (2-1-0)
HUL456 Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology (2-1-0)
HUL461 Morphology (2-1-0)
HUL465 Laboratory Phonology (2-0-2)
HUL607 English Syntactic Structure (3-0-0)
HUL608 Topics in Optimality Theory (3-0-0)
HUL614 Computational Phonology (3-0-0)
1. Appen Butler Hill Group / Oracle, USA, as Consultant, 2016 - Present. 2. Appen Butler Hill Group / Microsoft Corporation, USA, as Consultant, 2011-Present 3. Acapela Group Sweden AB, Solna, Sweden, as Consultant (Linguist), 2010. 4. Zi Corporation, Calgary, Canada, as Language Consultant (Bengali), 2004 - 2005.