Dr. Sasmal did his PhD from Monash University, Melbourne, Australia after completing his M.Tech and B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur and University of Calcutta respectively. Prior to join IIT Ropar, he was a postdoctoral fellow in University of California, Santa Barbara, USA.
Areas of Research
Polymer physics, microfluidics, single polymer dynamics, dynamics of DNA molecules in porous media, Brownian and molecular dynamics simulations, CFD, multiscale modeling of heat and mass transfer in non-Newtonian fluids and nanofluids
M.Tech (Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 2011)
B.Tech (University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India, 2009)
Postdoctoral fellow, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA, Jan 2017 - Feb 2018
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Ropar, March 2018 - Present
1. C. Sasmal, Effects of aspect ratio, nanoparticle volume fraction and its size on the momentum and heat transfer phenomena from an elliptic cylinder in water-based CuO nanofluids, Powder Technology, vol. 313, pp. 272–286, 2017.
2. C. Sasmal, K. Hsiao, C. M. Schroeder, J. Ravi Prakash, Parameter-free prediction of DNA dynamics in planar extensional flow of semidilute solutions, Journal of Rheology, vol. 61, pp. 169–186, 2017, featured as the cover article of the journal.
3. K. Hsiao, C. Sasmal, J. Ravi Prakash, C. M. Schroeder, Direct observation of DNA dynamics in semi-dilute solutions in extensional flow, Journal of Rheology, vol. 61, pp. 151–167, 2017, featured as the cover article of the journal.
4. R. Prabhakar, C. Sasmal, D. A. Nguyen, T. Sridhar, J Ravi Prakash, Effect of stretching-induced changes in hydrodynamic screening on coil-stretch hysteresis of unentangled polymer solutions, Physical Review Fluids, vol. 2, pp. 011301-8, 2017.
5. C. Sasmal, N. Nirmalkar, Momentum and heat transfer characteristics from heated spheroids in water based nanofluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 96, pp. 582–601, 2016.
6. A. Jain, C. Sasmal, R. Hartkamp, B.D. Todd, J. R. Prakash, Brownian dynamics simulations of planar mixed flows of polymer solutions at finite concentrations, Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 121, pp. 245–257, 2015, 2013 Danckwerts Special Issue on Molecular Modelling in Chemical Engineering.
7. C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Laminar free convection in power-law fluids from a heated hemisphere, Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol. 28, pp. 750–763, 2014.
8. A. K. Gupta, C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Laminar and steady free convection in power-law fluids from a heated spheroidal particle: A numerical study, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 75, pp. 592–609, 2014.
9. R. Shyam, C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Natural convection heat transfer from two vertically aligned circular cylinders in power-law fluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 54, pp. 1127–1152, 2013.
10. C. Sasmal, R. Shyam, R. P. Chhabra, Laminar flow of power-law fluids past a hemisphere: Momentum and forced convection heat transfer characteristics, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 63, pp. 51–64, 2013.
11. C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Effect of orientation on laminar natural convection from a heated square cylinder in power-law liquids, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 57, pp. 112–125, 2012.
12. C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Effect of aspect ratio on natural convection in power-law fluids from a heated horizontal elliptic cylinder, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 4886–4899, 2012.
13. C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Momentum and heat transfer characteristics of a long parallelepiped submerged in power-law fluids in the laminar vortex shedding regime, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 2285–2314, 2012.
14. C. Sasmal, R. P. Chhabra, Laminar natural convection from a heated square cylinder immersed in power-law liquids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 166, pp. 811–830, 2011.
15. P. Koteswara Rao, C. Sasmal, A. K. Sahu, R. P. Chhabra, V. Eswaran, Effect of power-law fluid behaviour on momentum and heat transfer characteristics of an inclined square cylinder in steady flow regime, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 54, pp. 123–145, 2011.
Looking for candidates who are interested in pursuing their PhD in aforementioned research areas. Please feel free to contact for knowing the scope and for discussing about the details of the work.